In the first
quarter of 18th Century, Marathwada become part of Nizams Domain. To reward of long and distinguished career in war
and politics, Aurangzeb appointed his general, Asif Jah as subhedar of Marathwada
is a division of
Marathwada is a division of
Marathwada can well be
described as the home of Arts, Culture and Literature.
The Caves of Ajanta and Ellora, which lie in this region, attract
scholars artist, Students and visitors from distant part of the world Marathwada
region has a rich literary and culture heritage. The
Well-known poets, writers, saints and philosophers of Maharashtra Belong to this region. Dnyaneshwar, Namdeo, Ekanath, Dasopant and Ramdas
are notable names. They have been responsible
for the epithet cradle of Marathi Literature, applied to this region. SIRAJ a great poet of early Urdu
Literature and WALI known as fathers of Modern Urdu Poetry were born here and
lived here in the city of
The Demand For A University For
For a longer period
Marathwada was educationally neglected. There
ware only nine intermediate college and ninety-five high schools for a total population
5,300,000 in Marathwada region before 1st November 1958. Moreover all the college were
affiliated to the
In the Osmania University, the medium of instruction was Urdu as it was established in the Nizam State After political change in 1947, the independence of India the regional language were adopted as medium of Secondary Level Education. Therefore, It was necessary to teach the higher education in regional language because of this problem people form Marathwada region demanded a new University for the educational as well as Socio Economical development.
On 12th December
1954 meeting was organized by Marathwada Shikshan Samiti in which emphasis was given on
Separate University for the purpose of cultural and Educational activities two Convention
of members of Parliament and of the State Legislature in 1955-1956 strongly represented
the need for a University on 29th July 1956 a delegation of members of
Parliament and of the state Legislature an educationists in Marathwada Submitted
memorandum to the Chief Minister of Hyderabad State making of similar demand the
Government of Hyderabad appointed a committee. The
committee submitted its report an on
In response to the educational demand of Marathwada region on 27th April
1957 the government of Marathwada published its resolution appointing a Committee to
report on the question of establishment of a separate University for the Marathwada area
under the chairmanship of the Late Justice S.M. Paluitkar Ex chief Justice of the
Hyderabad High court and later judge of Bombay High court. The committee was composed nine
members recommended the establishment of original University for Marathwada area with the
teaching and affiliating functions, which should pay special attention to need of the
region. The committee submitted its report on
DR. BABASAHEB AMBEDKAR MARATHWADA UNIVERSITY,
THIS UNIVERSITY WAS INAUGURATED,
THE PRIME MINISTER
SHRI JAWAHARLAL NEHRU
23RD DAY OF
Prakash, chancellor of the University, the governor of
The places were suggested for the seat of the University via
The Government of Bombay lent the two-storied building belonging to the middle
school situated in Aurangpura (New Zilla Parishad) with its annexes. Until such time as
the University is able to construct its own buildings on the University campus. It was
proposed to utilize the existing building for the office. The meeting of the University
bodies, for accommodating the University departments and library and for holding some of
the post graduates classes.
In all the
eight colleges in Marathwada were affiliated to the Osmania University, when the
Marathwada University was established in June-1958 one more college at Jalna was
affiliated in the month of July of the same year.The affiliation of nine colleges with the
Osmania University terminated on October 31, 1958. The nine colleges are as follows:
Government college of Art & Science,
(3) The Peoples college, Nanded (Established on 1950).
Government college of education,
Manikchand Pahade low college,
Government Medical college,
(8) The Yogeshwari Science college, Mominabad (Established on 1956).
(9) The Arts & S.B.L. commerce college, Jalna (Established on 1958).
A many names were suggested for the proposed University such as Marathwada,
has to serve the need of the whole Marathwada region with a common historical and
cultural. The name of city however illustrious cannot be exercise the same spell upon the
imagination of the Marathwada People. The name of the University must be such that it will
make an emotional appeal to the heart and minds of the people. The name Marathwada has
that advantage, therefore it was named as Marathwada University on 14th
January 1994 the University was renamed Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada
University to pay homage to work done by Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar for the educational
development of Marathwada region.The University Campus covers
an area of more then 650 Acres of land. The main approach road is from the south, which is
about a mile and a quarter in length. The
hills provide a picturesque background with silvery streak of small cascades during the
rain. The famous
The design adopted for the coat of arms bears the following emblems:-
Ajanta Arch with a base in which the above - mentioned motto is inscribed. The arch is a symbol of the glory of the art of
painting and sculpture which reached their acme in the
(2) A Pothi or book lying open on a book-rest, symbolizing learning,
(3) A shealf of Jowar, representing agriculture, the chief occupation and means of livelihood of the majority of the people of Marathwada which primarily an agricultural tract,
(4) Two elephants, representing the strength of purpose of the people of Marathwada,
(5) A wheel standing for progress, industrial progresses in particular.
The coat of arms may be regarded as fair representation of the aims and ideals of the university, which has been established among, people mainly devoted of the vocation of agriculture, with a rich cultural back ground and a firm determination to pursue knowledge and learning and at the same time to achieve economic and industrial progress. The motto affirms the inviolability of knowledge; a quality that abides is knowledge itself.
Objective of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University :
Following are the objectives of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University. To disseminates create and preserve knowledge and understand by teaching, research, extension and service and by effective demonstration and influence of its corporate, extension and society.
Function of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University:
The functions of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University are as follows:
(1) To play a significant role in the economic, educational, social and cultural development of people of Marathwada.
(2) To cater to the need of higher education in the region.
(3) To cultivate and promote the arts, commerce, science, medicine, engineering, technology and other branches of learning and culture.
(4) To organize maintain and manage university laboratories, libraries, museum and other equipments for teaching and research.
(5) To contribute to the advancement and dissemination of knowledge by undertaking Post Graduate and research in its own departments as well as through its college and recognized institutions.
(6) To serve as a nursery of leaders indifferent walks of life, Professional, industrial economic, Political, social who can actively help in all direction and in the resuscitation if its unique culture.
The University is an examination as well as teaching body. It carries out its own teaching departments. At present Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University has 30 Department:
(1) Department of Marathi Language & Literature
(2) Department of English
(3) Department of Hindi
(4) Department of Foreign Language
(5) Department of Economics
(6) Department of Political Science
(7) Department of Public Administration
(8) Department of History & Ancient Indian Culture
(9) Department of Sociology
(10) Department of Commerce
(11) Department of Management Science
(12) Department of Zoology
(13) Department of Chemistry
(14) Department of Botany
(15) Department of Mathematics
(16) Department of Statistics
(17) Department of Physics
(18) Department of Dramatics
(19) Department of Journalism
(20) Department of Library & Information Science
(21) Department of Pali & Buddhism
(22) Department of Psychology
(23) Department of Physical Educations
(24) Department of Environmental Science
(25) Department of Computer Science
(26) Department of Education
(27) Department of Geography
(28) Department of Sanskrit
(29) Department of Tourism
(30) Department of Urdu
(31) Department of Law
(32) Department of Biochemistry
(33) Department of Chemical Technology
List Of Vice Chancellors :
Statement showing the duration of Services performed by the Vice-Chancellor since the inception of the University.